Monday, March 29, 2010

In the all-seeing eye

So, having proclaimed to the world my aims of mad science and supervillainy, I've begun the C++ for Haiku OS tutorials. Of course, I started them while waiting for the melatonin to kick in, so as soon as the compiler was giving me shit (I think I may have to take a longer approach to this particular problem, but I wasn't willing to try at 6 am) I went to sleep.

I really wanna help with Haiku, but I have a feeling it's going to take a long time. On their development page, they specify how they want developers to work, and while I fully understand the need for a standardized form, it feels confining. Shiny, C++-only code, with lots of notes as to what you did and why and blah blah blah, lots of white space and extra typing. Makes me wonder what people would do if they just dipped into Perl, Python, or Ruby.

I think I just have four more weeks of classes for this semester. And thank God for that. Gotta bit more to do than usual, though. Short essay due this week, rewrite of an old one due next week, then our biggest paper due the week after, for English. Japanese, I gotta make up a test I missed in addition to this unit's test. Psych is Psych, there's nothing unusual happening there. The short essay for English would be exciting if I knew what to do. We have to write a review for a film or album, but it has to be something we haven't seen or heard before, and deciding what to review is proving difficult. Japanese is gonna be rough, just because I now need to review two separate units, but I should be okay, I think.

Since my mom asked me if I was going to Eastern this fall, I've been thinking about it a lot. I'm not going this fall, but I do I want to go sooner than Fall '11, so I'm planning for January. Mom is in the loop, and I'm gonna start scouting for apartments in the summer, because that's how far ahead apartment leases free up and also disappear. It's pretty exciting.

The only downside is that Jon is one of those people who can't say "no." He spoke with his friend Ted, who is finishing up a bachelor's, and told him about Eastern's grad programs, and Ted has decided to come up this way, under the assumption that he and Jon were going to live together. Now, because Jon has no spine, they will, but Jon is also naive, and thinks the three of us are going to find an apartment. I told him we weren't going to find a three-bedroom apartment in Ypsilanti, but he retains the thought (ludicrous hope) that we'll just "find something." I'm looking for apartments alone at this point, because that's the realistic situation. Even if we did manage to find some miraculously cheap three-bed place, there would need to be at least two bathrooms, because three guys to one bathroom is not an acceptable ratio outside of a college dorm (although in that case, I wish I could say it wasn't, because it's horrible).

There's one reason I want to get back to EMU for that is academic. I want to take linguistics classes already! I should technically be done with all this liberal arts stuff before I get back out to Ypsi, but part of me fears that I'll have to redo something. But if I can go out there and just get started on the things I WANT, that'd be great. I know I won't have to take math again, so that's awesome. English, maybe, depending on the exact bits. The exact science of transfer credits escapes me, but I have an appointment with a counselor on Friday, so I will hopefully have answers.

As for the loan situation, I'm stuck paying out of pocket. Again. The funniest thing that has happened on this front is getting my FAFSA info back-- Eastern sent me a letter telling exactly which loans and how much they were willing to give me. I didn't even ask them for any of that information. I did not hear anything from OCC. One more reason I'm ready to go back.

Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment